Old July 25th 03, 04:51 PM
David L. Johnson

Default pudendal nerve problems

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:17:04 +0000, Chris Smith wrote:

I'm a male, 43, just started riding a roadbike for about a month or so, I
tend to ride about 40 minutes to an hour every day. I've noticed sustained
slight numbness in my crotch area and assume it's the result of pressure
on the pudendal nerve. Is it possible to change seat adjustment or
something else to minimize the pressure problem?

You need to make sure the bike really fits you, first. Most bikes can be
adjusted to fit a wide range of people reasonably well, so I am not
talking about buying a new bike, but you should find a shop that does a
"bike fit" and have someone help you get comfortable on the bike.

Beyond the specific points mentioned elsewhere on this thread, be sure
that you are not too stretched out. Your hands should _comfortably_ rest
on the brake hoods allowing you to keep a finger or two on the brake lever
itself. Many people are only comfortable with their hands on the tops --
because the bars are too far forward, or too low, or the seat is set back
too far. These are things that can be diagnosed and cured by a good fit.
The most you would have to do is replace the stem. Beats replacing that
thing that is going numb.

You may find a new saddle to be an improvement, but no one can really
recommend the saddle that will be best for _you_. (Despite that, many
will recommend a specific saddle...). That may take some experimenting,
but shops are pretty good about returns of saddles, and some have a
repository of saddles to try out.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
_`\(,_ | that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
(_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public. --Theodore Roosevelt