Old August 5th 03, 12:39 AM
Steve McDonald

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

I used road bikes with 1-inch or 1 1/8-inch high-pressure tires on
all sorts of city streets and country roads for many years and thought
nothing about discomfort or relative safety. But, several years ago, I
got a very good, unsuspended mountain bike. I put on gears that give me
101 inches of travel in high. It has light but sturdy alloy rims and
hubs and I've put Tioga City-Slicker smooth treads on it. I pump them
to 65-70 lbs. (high-pressure for 1.95 tires) and get a great ride.
I use a HyperPlush spring-loaded seat and the chronic saddle-sores from
road-biking have disappeared. It's like sailing on a cloud, compared to
riding a typical road bike. I will now use a narrow-tired road bike
only on smooth, newer roads and bikepaths and never after dark, if I can
help it. The wide tires give so much more safety in adverse conditions,
last longer and resist punctures and sidewall breakdowns better. I can
make this rig go pretty fast, for a mountain bike. If anyone passes me
on a road bike, they have to work hard for it.

Borrow a road bike and navigate your commuting route a few times
and you'll have your answer about
how much difference it makes to you.

Steve McDonald