Old August 5th 03, 02:14 AM
Donald Gillies

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

"Mike Beauchamp" writes:

Hey all,
I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace
my nearly 8 year old Mongoose IBOC Pro mountain bike.

Do it. The faster the bicycle, the more uses for the bicycle.

Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh ride,
with the small tires and the high air pressure, etc.

Untrue. Get a spongey reynolds 531 frame or equivalent (maybe a
used bike), and it will be softer to ride than a mountain bike with
slicks. Or maybe an Alan or Vitus not-oversized aluminum frame.

Are small bumps in the road going to be as bad as I think they are? Is
that why I don't see too many people riding around the streets on nice
road bikes?

What do you care what other people think ?? Sometimes when you follow
the herd you find out too late that its a hurd of lemmings.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA