Old August 7th 03, 06:36 AM
smokey

Default CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

jack cafferty is a joke. his only function at CNN is to read the
latest White House press release after having the make-up person cover
the brown stains on his nose. come to think of it, that describes a
big chunk of the CNN news organization. yes, the punishment is
ridiculous; what else do you expect in this society?
smokey
(Brent Hugh) wrote in message . com...
Jack Cafferty is a CNN morning news anchor. Apparently in May he made
an abrupt turn and hit a cyclist. The cyclist was thrown to the
ground but the bicycle was hooked to Cafferty's car and he dragged it
through at least two traffic lights, with people following him and
hollering at him to stop.

Cafferty claimed that he saw the bicyclist fall over but didn't
realize that he wsa the cause of the crash.

According to a story by a Newsday reporter:

"Cafferty was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, reckless
driving, assault and harassment. He was allowed to plead guilty to a
traffic violation: Operating a motor vehicle knowing or having cause
to know property damage had been caused. He was sentenced to 70 hours
of community service, with six months to complete it, and a $250 fine.
He also made restitution."
(
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news...6cafferty.html)

Here's my point: We have a well-known celebrity-type person who claims
that he didn't mean to do it, claims that he didn't realize he did it,
and claims that he's remorseful as all get out.

If all that is really true, then he needs to become the posterboy for
a "Share the Road with Bicycles" campaign--talk about it, make ads,
financially support it, do stories about it on CNN, etc etc etc.

Anybody besides me think it would be worthwhile to send a few letters
to Cafferty and to CNN suggesting that this would be a wise way for
them to deal with this situation?

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/

--Brent
bhugh [at] mwsc.edu