Old July 11th 03, 05:55 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Dogs

Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I
got
chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike.

Never
given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me

before.
What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

We've got some info on our website- www.ChainReaction.com/dogs that might be
of help. In many cases, dogs may do exactly nothing once they catch their
prey. The fun is in the chase, and it's boring to just sit there in a
stand-off with a cyclist. Not all the time though; there are obviously some
dogs that are trained to attack anything that they feel is intruding into
their area.

Great Danes aren't generally a nasty species though, and it may have simply
been wanting to have some fun (play) with you. This does happen; I've been
in races where dogs ran into the middle of the pack, thinking they were
having a great time. Once things didn't turn out too well, for either the
dog or a bunch of cyclists.

Be smart, and try to figure out what the dog is up to. You *are* smarter
than the dog, which you can use to your advantage.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com