Old February 8th 20, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default How to suck all the joy from cycling

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 20:01:45 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/7/2020 10:04 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/governm...ld-in-england/

In general, I'm in favor of education instead of ignorance. I don't see
why learning the rules of the road has to suck the joy out of bicycling.
I'm sure riding facing traffic is no more fun than doing things right.

I'm more troubled by Chris Boardman's insinuation in that article that
bicycling is dangerous unless Brits build segregated cattle chutes
everywhere. He should know better.

If one builds bicycle lanes in a similar manner as foot paths are
being built in Bangkok with no surface road crossings but bridges over
the roadway (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz0ghLc6lrY ) than
I'm sure that they would work fine.... except of course for the
complaints about the "hills", but having the beautiful bike path
terminate on a busy road crossing seems to me to be simply inviting
calamity.

Another point of thought. Do many bicycle accidents occur on the
stretch of road between intersections? In other words, assuming that
the bike lane is successful will it prevent a large portion of bicycle
accidents or only a tiny fraction?

And another thought comes to mind. In the Odense bike light study it
was found that the always on lighting system also reduced the number
of single vehicle crashes. Would bike lanes have a similar effect?
--
cheers,

John B.