Old August 4th 04, 05:52 PM
Casey Kerrigan

Default "Fuentes disputes positive" or How the USCF promotes doping...

In article rs.com,
wrote:

Rumors have surrounded this guy for a while now. I personally do not
know him, but have ended up on the podium with him several times and
honestly have no ill feelings toward him. I tended to chalk up the
rumors to guys that were a little jealous of his results. In my naivety,
I thought that "Local" guys just didn't dope.

The bigger question I have after reading this is: Why the F@#$ is he
being allowed to race after this positive test?!! Positive 4 months ago
and still racing. What is to dispute? Is there anyway this could
reasonably be a false positive? At Superweek he was flying and in
hindsight taking $ out of clean riders pockets. What message does this
send? I for one think the USCF should get its head out of the sand and
start testing at as many NRC races as possible.

------------cut--------------

Riders have the right to appeal the results of the first test. This is
one reason why any sample taken is divided into two samples an A sample
and a B sample. If the A sample if found to be positive for drugs then
the rider can appeal and ask for the B sample to be tested. I believe
that even after the B sample is tested ( if it is also positive) the
rider can file an appeal and try to contest how the test was conducted
and other things like this. During the appeal process riders can keep
on racing. This is the same for any action a rider may be suspended for
( ie the right to appeal the suspension decision and the right to keep
racing untill the appeals process has run its course).

This isn't a case of the USCF/USAC condoning drug use it is a case of
giving riders a fair due process system before suspending them from
competition.