Old May 23rd 18, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bike to Work Day 2018

On 2018-05-23 09:54, sms wrote:
On 5/23/2018 8:07 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The only times I experienced bike jams or excessively dense bike
traffic was in the Netehrlands and then here on the American River
bike trail during rush hour. So now I avoid rush hour. OTOH its much
worse in the car because while having to ride slower than usual I saw
Hwy 50 being a bumper-to-bumper crawl.

The first time I experienced a bike jam was in Beijing in 1987. As long
as you went with the flow, slow, and made no sudden movements or stops,
you were fine.

The jams now that I see have been on a local MUP in the evening. This
MUP runs from he area around Google and Microsoft out to the south to
Mountain View and Sunnyvale. These are fast moving bicycles and side
trails that lead into the main trail have to yield to the fast moving
traffic.

That's what I had in Rancho Cordova once. Made the mistake to pull off
the MUP to make a call. Afterwards I could barely get back on, people
are riding quite fast there. Now I make sure to avoid rush hour.

The topper was in Hengelo (Netherlands). On the way to work lots of
cyclists were stopped at a light. They had three lanes for cyclists at
that stretch but it still took two green phases for me to get across.
For cars there were only two lanes but hardly any vehicles in them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/