Old December 8th 03, 10:52 AM
Jinx

Default Which side of a path?

Geoff Pearson wrote:
Is there any convention on which side of a path or track to ride on
when facing oncoming cyclists? Round here people seem to ride on the
right as much as the left - annoying. There are lots of cycle tracks
and dual-use pavements with regular opportunity for collision.

My wife dragged me around Bluewater the other day christmas shopping. Whilst
she shopped I lurked out on the walkways and observed the flow of pedestrian
movements. It quickly became clear that most - but not all - pedestrians
choose to pass to the right. I assume this is to do with right handedness
being more prevalent. Where pedestrians passed to the left there was often
more eye contact and clearer body language showing intent as the less usual
movement was 'negotiated'.

I think that many cyclists using paths where they are encountering
pedestrians have adopted pedestrian conventions which then brings them into
conflict with cyclists who are using road conventions.

regards

Malcolm