Old May 28th 19, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Bottle holder

On Tue, 28 May 2019 11:42:36 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/28/2019 2:19 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 00:11:40 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sat, 25 May 2019 20:48:31 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I raided the local thrift shops and flea
markets where I bought a rather motley collection of $1/ea used knives
upon which to practice.

Occam's razor: I always have a disposable single-edge razor blade
about my person.

Except when I'm home in my grubbies and have an assortment of knives
to choose from.

I usually sharpen pencils with an "Exacto" scalpel. A whetstone works
fine on it; I've been using the same blade for decades.

I've found that a regular old fashioned hand crank pencil sharpener
works well, Well :=) except for drafting pencils, but who drafts with
a pencil anymore?

Funny you should ask. In the folder on the desk in front of me is a
design I did all in pencil. I worked on it in various places at various
times, and it progressed gradually from sketches to more formal drawings.

I was once considered a very good draftsman, including descriptive
geometry, and ended up teaching a few advanced drafting courses. But CAD
has devalued that skill.

I've done some designs using 3D modeling (mostly the free SketchUp
software). It's got its uses, but I still prefer the freedom of pencil
and paper.

In his book _The Pencil_, Henry Petroski tells of Thoreau carefully
listing every single item he planned to take to his famous getaway cabin
by Walden Pond. But as Petroski noted, Thoreau omitted one very
important one: the pencil with which he was writing the list! The
lesson? Pencils get no respect.

Pretty good book, BTW. Who knew Thoreau was a materials engineer?

My father was somewhat like that. When he'd decide that he wanted to
build a new barn or a workshop he'd come home from work and go out and
sit on a rock, or a stump, or something, and just stare at the place
that the new building was to be. He'd do that for maybe a week or
maybe a month and than start to dig the foundation and lo and behold
the building would be the right shape and size and fit his needs
perfectly.

One of his "innovations" was a "round roof" a roof that was
essentially half a cylinder. This gave some pitch to the roof so the
snow would fall off and a much larger space under the roof, the upper
story so to speak, than the usually hip roof design. To ensure that he
never had to actually get up and sweep the snow off the roof he
sheeted the roof in aluminum and it worked.

The building is still there and still being used some 70 years later
:-)
--

Cheers,

John B.