Old September 2nd 09, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Default Jeremy Vine stopped from cycling

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 08:24:45 +0100, Matt B
wrote:

Another case of a regulation which does little to improve anyone's
safety against those who are the real danger, but which inconveniences,
burdens and removes innocent and harmless pleasures from the majority of
"normal", safe, conscientious and generally law-abiding citizens.

Motoring cannot be considered a 'safe' activity. Not only to
motorists kill themselves be the score every year, but they also kill
dozens of pedestrians and cyclists.

Motoring /is/ inherently safe. The problems of safety is a result of
the way in which it has been regulated and the "facilities" provided to
make it "safer".

This is self evident because in places where the rules and regulations
have effectively been removed or suspended, serious accidents have
stopped happening.

I seem to recall that motoring is the biggest single cause of
unnatural death in the UK.

I think it is second to "home" accidents, but don't you think it is
about time that we asked ourselves why we put up which such a dangerous
provision and start looking at the systemic causes rather than blaming
the operators?

--
Matt B