Old May 21st 20, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default How flat are The Netherlands?

Axel Reichert wrote:
writes:
On Thursday, May 21, , wrote:
114 km [...] elevation gain of a whopping 124 m

There are many places in the lowlands where there are hillocks that
are incredibly steep as is often demonstrated in the Belgium classics

For several years I lived in the tri-point area (Germany, Netherlands,
Belgium). This is where I became addicted to cycling. I preferred to
ride in the Netherlands (friendly drivers, good roads) over Belgium
(friendly drivers, terrible roads) and Germany (unfriendly drivers, good
roads).

That area is very hilly in comparison to Munich (which is thought be
pre-Alps ...). I had a favourite round trip of 60 km with 1000 m
elevation gain (mostly short, steep hillocks), whereas here I gather
maybe 250 m on the same distance.

You definitively need a super fast, but more comfortable new bike because
your 60 km round trip is too short to catch more hills. Without an Emonda,
you are essentially limited to riding in circles including Harlachinger Berg
and Grynwalder Bridge bridge.

The Dutch (not Belgian) Amstel Gold Race goes through that area (after
around 100 km pan-cake flat warm-up). I did one of the shorter tourist
versions of that race and picked the one without the flat warm-up, but
the hills concentrated. It had 2000 m elevation gain for 150 km. I saw
many people push their bikes, who did not expect any significant
climbing there.

It is a great area, I can highly recommend it. It is the exception,
though, the rest of the country is indeed flat.

I think it's all the heavy Holstein-Friesian cattle's fault! See how
everything is flat on the photo where they stomp? It's a pattern, I'm
telling you.