Old April 20th 10, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Greg Evans

Default Ultegra shifter problem

On 4/20/2010 3:36 AM, Graham wrote:

[snip]

you said "that screw on my STI came loose". did you mean that it
actually fell out like mine or was just loose? i would think that
if it was just loose but still present the shifter would still
work.

[snip]

if not, they might be able to "create one" like they did for kerry.
going to put some loc-tite on it also.

[snip]

Mine initially came loose - very loose when I first had the
problem. After tightening it the problem went away but returned.
This time the screw had gone. I then did what you are thinking of
doing and having made a replacement screw from one of the same
thread but longer I used loc-tite and so far so good.

I think because Shimano moved to a hexagon head screw with locking
tabs this is a known design fault.

Another poster did mention the screw that secures shimano brake
pads into their shoes works.

Indeed I did, and it does. The only real difference is that the
screw from the brake shoe takes a hex key rather than a phillips
head.

I've just remembered something else: There's a small washer between
the two levers. If you're lucky it might still be there, even without
the screw, held in place by grease (mine was). If not, it shouldn't
be too hard to find a suitable replacement.

Greg
--
My Blog:
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/