Old October 3rd 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Is it illegal to bike against traffic on a sidewalk?

Xtowers wrote:
It was kind of funny. I got a call from my girlfriend, and she told me
that she was pulled over by a cop on her bike. The cop said that it was
illegal to bike against traffic, which made sense to me. The thing that
didn't make sense was that she was biking on a sidewalk, not the road.

SNIP

Dear Xtowers:
Last week I saw someone who'd been riding wrong way on the sidewalk
get clouted by a Volvo station wagon while crossing a busy intersection
against the red light. Basically, your girlfriend got a ticket for
misdemeanor stupid -- the young lady I saw compounded the misdemeanor
and came quite close to earning more frequent flyer miles on
LifeFlight. Oh, she rolled away, but not before she'd been deposited on
the asphault and nearly kissed a bumper. Your local laws may vary, but
sidewalk riding the wrong way is at least as bad as sidewalk
riding.....

Robert Leone