Old October 3rd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
AustinMN

Default Is it illegal to bike against traffic on a sidewalk?

Xtowers wrote:
It was kind of funny.

Actually, no, not particularly.

I got a call from my girlfriend, and she told me
that she was pulled over by a cop on her bike. The cop said that it was
illegal to bike against traffic, which made sense to me. The thing that
didn't make sense was that she was biking on a sidewalk, not the road.

Whether it is legal to cycle on the sidewalk varies. Cycling on the
sidewalk is always a bad idea unless the cyclist is too young to
understand basic traffic laws (and then should be restricted to walking
speeds).

What your girlfrined was doing was almost certanly not illegal, but was
certanly unwise, no almost about it.

Austin (lives and works in Metro Twin Cities)