Old October 3rd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

Default Is it illegal to bike against traffic on a sidewalk?

wrote:
:: landotter wrote:
::
::: Your girlfriend derserves every single citation she gets, even a
::: "reckless driving" charge would be in order. Sidewalks are for
::: *walking*. Duh. Streets are for vehicles. Brilliant way to get
::: yourself killed is to zoom through an intersection wrong way when
::: riding on the sidewalk.
:::
::: It's not funny or "aw, man, it's no biggie", nope, it's just
::: downright stupid. It's about 5 notches of stupid above driving
::: drunk.
:::
::: This is of course assuming you're over 12 years old. In many
::: jurisdictions you may ride your "My little pony" bmx bike on the
::: sidewalk if you're under that age, and by the sound of things you
::: may be able to argue with a judge that you're 10--on an emotional
::: level.
::
:: Damn, give it a rest you ninnies.
::
:: Sidewalk riding is no more dangerous than any other
:: kind of riding, provided the cyclist recognizes the particular
:: hazards involved.

I agree.

::
:: We all ride on sidewalks occasionally. That's part of the
:: beauty of the bicycle, the ability to outperform in the
:: pedestrian as well as vehicle realms. If you never ride
:: sidewalks, you simply aren't riding enough.

I've done it. I've also ridden the wrong way on a road, too. The danger is
greater and increases ones risk of getting hurt, but one can do it without
getting hurt.

::
:: Scratch the surface of those who give anti-sidewalk
:: speeches and you will find cyclists who occasionally
:: ride sidewalks, when it is useful to them. You see,
:: it's ok for them, the self-righteous safety ninnie, to
:: do it, but not for anyone else.

Well, from the standpoint of recommending proper riding habits, I say opt
for safely. Make sure people understand why it's more risky to WWR or ROSW.
Then, if they choose to do so, at least they know to be on the lookout.
Those are not times to be lost in your own thoughts.

::
:: To the OP, I'm sorry you got rudely kneejerked
:: on this newsgroup, you aren't the first.
:: The cop was wrong, unless perhaps he observed
:: her riding in a way that was particulary dangerous, besides
:: her simply riding wrong way on the sidewalk, maybe
:: he saw her cut somebody off or just looking
:: particularly oblivious.

Well, I'd guess the oblivious part first.