Old January 20th 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Sad helmet incident

news18 writes:

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 14:44:42 -0800, sms wrote:

On 1/16/2020 9:05 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Girl, 4, died after bike helmet got caught on branch:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-51139789

She wasn't riding her bike at the time, but, being four years old, she
probably wasn't able to remove her own helmet.

Very sad.

I know that the helmet instructions warn parents to not have the child
wear the helmet when not riding. This needs to be explained to children
that are on their own riding their bikes. The helmet comes off when they
get off the bike.

The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute warns about this as well
https://helmets.org/playgrou.htm.

Shrug, how much nanny state and helicopter parenting do you want.
If you want the kids to wear helmets, then you let them wear a helmet
when they want to.

The whole problem is greatly exaggerated, especially by click bait media
with the shlock horror reports of iindividual kids dieing. the risk of
strangulation by bicycle helmet is a minor minor chance in their life,
especially when we repeately see kids dieing from incompetent/gross
overworked medical professionals working in corruptly run medical
facilities. Locally we loose more kids from undiagnosed diseases each
year than we do from helmet strangulation in a decade. Actually, I don't
think we've ever had one.

Helmet strangulation vs medical misadventure seems an apples to cue
balls comparison. More relevant is the comparison of four year olds
saved by bike helmets versus four year olds killed by them.

Perhaps bike helmets for four year olds are not a net benefit.