Old March 1st 04, 02:15 PM
Peter Clinch

Default Lubrication - where, when, what, how much?

Simon Brooke wrote:

No, not GT85 on chains. In fact, not GT85 anywhere. The chain is the
critical thing - it's when the chain stretches that all your cogs start to
wear, so you need to keep the chain lubed.

I use GT85 on my chain and it seems to do okay, and the cogs don't seem
to die unnaturally fast either...

All cables and bearings ideally want grease. Spraying GT85 at them will just
disolve the grease that's protecting them and let it wash out faster.

Quite so, which is why I never use it on cables and bearings. Usually
use PTFE grease for those.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital