Old June 26th 20, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Cycling Tests

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 23:42:04 -0700 (PDT)
Mike Collins wrote:

Now the vast majority of the intelligent population realise bicycles
are the best form of urban/short journey transport should we require
motorists to take an annual Cyclist Awareness Test if they want to
use our roads?

There's certainly a case for sending careless/inconsiderate drivers on
an awareness course (awareness of all other road users, not just
cyclists) as an alternative to a fine and points. The problem with that
is the manpower and court time that would be tied up. ISTR some US
states require a driving re-test every few years, I wonder how much
that would save in terms of collisions and injuries/deaths avoided. I
expect the insurance industry has looked at the possibility and not
found a compelling case. Given the ageing population I hope that at
least old (and potentially more sensory- or cognitive-impaired drivers)
will soon face mandatory retests. Also automatic jail for repeat
disqualified-driving offences (but again, cost ...)