Old April 13th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Belt drive

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:45:25 PM UTC-5, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 19:19:22 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/12/2019 6:37 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 16:07:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:27:51 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he is building.
What is good about them? You have to have the exact length for your
bike, and if it breaks, it is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

-- Dieter Britz

Go over to YouTube and do a search on Gates Belt Drive. A number of
videos will appear that talks about bikes with this drive system and
usually Rohloff or Pinion gear boxes.

There was a guy at a marina where I kept my boat that had an aluminum
single speed bike with a belt drive. It apparently worked great, he
parked it on the dock next to his boat and it was there for years and
years with no apparent maintenance what so ever. A chain drive would
have been rusted itself into one solid chunk in that period :-)

Was that the Bridgestone OPC14 with V Belt drive?
I sold those . Nicely done, great price, no complaints.

Wild looking thing:

https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone...e-opc-14b.html

It says that little bike weighed 29 pounds! I know the belt drive did not add that much. Did the bell and basket add all the extra tonnage?