Default A hole in the stem

On 4/13/2019 8:34 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 9:09:44 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:17:34 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 9:32:09 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/13/2019 5:58 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Snipped
If you want to raise or lower a stem with a hole in it to which the front brake cable is anchored then you'd have to adjust the brakes too as lower the stem will move the pads away from the rim and raising the stem will move the pads closer to the rim.

Back when that was the standard setup on MTBs, we saw that
as a feature, not a problem.

Until you go to raise that stem and it causes the brake pads to bind against the rim. I remember having that happen a lot on those MTBs that had the hole in the stem with the brake cable going through it.

Does one raise and lower the handle bars frequently on a MTB? On a
road bike once I have the bike set up to be comfortable I probably
don't change anything, seat height, fore and fat seat position, handle
bar angle or height, etc., for years..

I sometimes change the height of my MTB stem depending on the terrain I'm riding or how much gear/weight I'm carrying. Actually, what I have on my MTB gravel/logging road touring bike with drop bars is a quill adjustable stem. I set the cables with the stem at the highest point I'd use it and that way I don't have to worry about rubbing brake pads if I raise the stem. I like a more upright position when riding loose surfaces and then lower the stem if I'm doing a lot of distance on pavement. I often have both on my Northern Ontario Canada tours. I ride the pavement to and from the gravel/mining roads I'll be touring and then adjust the stem for the best fit once I'm on the gravel.

Yes, for you use, the crown-mounted cable hangers such as
cyclo cross bikes use might be better than a pierced stem.

As always, many paths to victory.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home