Old December 2nd 03, 12:43 PM
Troy Rappe

Default XTR M960: Beyond diminishing returns

what about large people who want something strong? SOmeone I know has
snapped 5 crank sets just from the sheer power of his pedalling, he

XTR is the lightweight race stuff. LX or XT are better for big guys.
But really if he snaps parts like that, get some RaceFace or Truvativ
freeride or downhill cranks.

BTW: It's obviously not from "the sheer power of his pedalling", but rather
some combination of poor riding skills, aggressive drops and his weight.
I speak with some experiance. I'm an x football player and the more
I ride the less I break parts.

As you learn to glide over the trail rather than beat it to submission,
not only do the parts last but you go way faster.

I used to bend a lot of wheels, break chains, helmets, seatposts, cassettes,
chainrings,... but I rarely break stuff anymore. I even crash softer, well
usually,
I sprained my neck a couple months ago by not paying attention on a new
trail.

Big guy parts:
freeride cranks (splined)
custom frame (Ti Seven Sola works for me!)
Marzoochi fork (only big guy fork)
rims (32 spoke triple cross or DH specific )
9 speed Chains and cassettes might last a summer
if this is too much $$ switch to 8 speed, 8 speeds last me at least 2 years.
Thompson Elite seatpost
Thompson Elite stem
Chris King headset (it's worth the money)
Easton's cheapest AL handlebar

When you buy the cheaper parts from the big name manufacturers
you usually get the heavy duty parts. (not including frames and forks)

The most expensive parts are usually the lightest weight, xc race stuff for
the
140 lb rider.

Ogre