Old September 13th 04, 03:17 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:29:15 GMT, "Mark Jones"
wrote:

I had a 1985 Ford Escort that got about 40 mpg with its
little 1.6L motor. Very underpowered and not real safe
on the interstate because of its inability to accelerate
very quick. I would never want another vehicle with
a power to weight ratio this low.

Well, I drove a Saab station wagon on the freeway almost entirely and
the gas mileage eventually worked up to just under 34mpg. Pretty much
the same as the sedan (which finally got up to just over that on a
trip to Kansas). I'll settle for that if it is even close when I trade
in my wife's Vibe, which has problems getting quite that high.

OTOH her Vibe stays around 30 mpg in normal driving, while the 9-5
drops down to around 27 mpg. Her's is the one that gets the dirty
looks because some people figure it to be a SUV.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...