Old May 16th 19, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Evans

Default Dubious Hack: Wrapping the Chain In Teflon Tape To Prevent DustBuild Up

On 06/05/2019 00:45, Bret Cahill wrote:

There should be some precise amount of cleaning that removes almost all the grease on the exposed parts of the chain were oil isn't desired, yet leaves enough oil where's it's needed.

The cleaning would need to be done very uniformly. Right now everyone slathers on several ccs of grease which then picks up grime.

What are you trying to achieve?

I buy 8 speed chains in bulk, for £6 each. They come lubricated. In dry
conditions I use them for a 1000 miles, less in wet. I never lubricate
them. Unlike oiled chains they appear to stay relatively clean. They
appear to shift OK throughout their life.

Most lubrication techniques seem to be either more expensive or very
time consuming, involving cleaning the chain and cassette.

I also get good life out of cassettes and chain wheels.