Old June 3rd 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default a traffic dilemma

recycled-one wrote:
Assume you are making a left turn from a middle, left-only, lane onto
another multi-lane street.

Any time there is significant traffic, or complicated road manuever
requiring left turns, I handle it exactly the same way I would drive it
in a car. People give you funny looks when you're sitting in a middle
lane, in the middle of the lane. I think they are considering honking
or yelling, but generally refrain from doing so. Once the light goes
green and they realize at 0-20 I can match anything but a 'vette in
getting through the traffic controlled turns, they generally go about
their business as if I were a car. No complaints by either civilians
or cops, and our police department believes in keeping as many cops
driving around, showing the colors, as absolutely, humanly possible.
So they've definately seen me do it quite a few times.

The only thing I do differently, is that I always plan my turn sequence
so that I end up in the right hand lane after all is said and done.
Once through, I drift over to the shoulder or white line, then drop my
speed to let my heart rate come down from sprint mode.

But in general, the more traffic there is, the more you need to behave
exactly like something that everyone is used to dealing with, ie, a
car. As soon as you start to make exceptions for your comfort, you are
placing yourself in a situation where no one around you can figure out
what you're doing. That path leads to getting smushed.