Old March 7th 17, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default More About Lights

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 5:11:29 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/6/2017 9:37 PM, sms wrote:

This light http://supernova-lights.com/en/supernova-e3-triple-2 claims
640 lumens at 4.5W. 4.5W is definitely possible from a nominal 3W
dynamo. It claims 800 lumens peak.

Note that his light, while sold in Germany, is not "road legal."
because, according to reviews, it doesn't suffer the problems of StVZO
lights, "It has a very broad light output that is closer to a floodlight
than a focused beam, and so doesn’t give the ‘tunnel’ effect of some of
the powerful battery-powered lights. This means it’s great for
illuminating branches and hazards above you and off to the side." As we
all know, the problem with StVZO legal lights are related to the
extremely focused spot beam.

Here's an example of an StVZO headlamp (2013 model) with the "extremely
focused spot beam" the Scharf complains about.
http://peterwhitecycles.com/images/p...lux-II-800.jpg

See that tiny spot? ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

That is the headlight I use and it looks exactly the same on a pitch dark street. So again I don't understand why people find this amount of light insufficient.

Lou