Old March 7th 17, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default More About Lights

On 2017-03-06 20:00, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/6/2017 4:33 PM, Joerg wrote:

The real McCoy would be a worryfree system like in a car where it
recharges while riding. If I ever switch the road bike front wheel to
one with a hub dynamo I will do that. Right now it only has a bottle
dynamo, too much drag and it eats the left side wall of "modern" tires.

I've done well with a bottle dynamo whose drive wheel has an added
circumferential groove to hold a thick O-ring. That O-ring runs on the
rim's braking surface, not on the tire. Zero tire wear, and it runs
very smoothly. I've experienced no slipping - but it's not been tested
in the rain.

May main issue isn't rain but mud. Often the Soubitez bottle dynamo on
my road bike mutates into a clump of drying clay.

Back in Europe slush and ice was the main issue. Typically on a night
ride back home when a cold front rushed in. The slush accumulated at the
dynamo, gradually froze up there and at some point ... phseeeee ... no
more light on our bikes except on mine because that had a battery.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/