Old June 8th 05, 10:50 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote in message
C'mon guys. This is all opinions and experience. Right and wrong aren't
really useful concepts here.

It is better to bottom post so that others do not have to read your message
in a reverse direction.

Actually, right and wrong are extremely useful concepts. Some would have you
believe that it is all in the rider when it comes to handling. If you listen
to nuts like them, you will go terribly astray and end up lost like a lamb
in the wilderness. Never listen to anyone who claims to go fast on a trike.
They are screwballs and they lie through their teeth. Thankfully, they
mostly seem to reside in the UK, a land of permanent nuts and screwballs
which the rest of the world stop listening to several generations ago.

In my experience with trikes including the one that some people have had
up to 70 MPH, they don't handle well at high speed. Now I haven't tried
every trike out there at high speed and there could be some things I don't
know about riding them (yet!).

You bet! Ride your trike to 70 mph and I definitely will not be at your
funeral as I do not want to encourage that kind of craziness.

That having been said I will never go back to two wheels. I've been able
to climb things with my trike that I'm not sure I could walk up.

Crawling up a hill at 2 mph is not much fun though, is it?

I don't know if any of the tadpoles are better than any other tadpoles at
high speed. I would guess that since the basic geometry is similar that
they have similar handling characteristics. Probably a really long wheel
base and wide front wheels would improve things. It would weigh a ton and
be impossible to transport but it would be stable.

A long wheel base anything will always handle infintely better than a short
wheelbase anything. Elementary my dear Watson. Thus spake Zarathustra!

Does anyone know if quads have the same stability problems?

Forget quads. They require internal combustion engines. A three wheeler will
serve just fine. But keep your speed down. I forbid anyone ever from going
70 mph on any kind of a bike.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

"Buck" wrote in message

On 06/08/2005 03:34:58 "Edward Dolan" wrote:

Hang in there Jeff. You are right and Peter is wrong, as he is about
most
everything. The fact is trikes are hard to handle at speed due to pedal
steer and brake steer can be a problem too. Go with your own experience
and
do not listen to those UK nuts. A two wheeler will always handle much
better at speed than any three wheeler, but trikes are OK provided you
keep your speed reasonable.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

LOL- Dolan the oracle, the world is ending.

I leave it to the reader as to who is being reasonable and who is being a
nut case!

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota