Old May 11th 06, 08:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default My latest whinge...

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:45:11 +1000, Terry Collins wrote:

You mispelt punative!

Did you mean punitive?

Here is a practical problem; deskjobs; are you supposed to spend two
hours each evening working out at the gym to keep fit?

I had a desk job. It was the fittest I've ever been, thanks to riding an
hour each way to get there. (uphill in the snow of course...)

Actually, 24hr races are not encouraging people to get off their butt.
they all seem headed for elite idiots who make great TV. If these sort
of events want to encourage "active involvement" they need to cater more
for the fun rider, e.g no single track, multiple bridges, different
grades, etc.

Um, no singletrack? That's the fun bit! Terry, I suggest you try one of
these events before you pass judgement. Some of the courses are quite
challenging, but most of them are only tricky if you're going fast.

If you want participation events that are easier, look at the Woodford to
Glenbrook classic, the Sydney to the Gong, and the RTA Cycle Sydney and
Big Ride. For real beginner cyclists offroad events mightn't be
appropriate. I know some who've loved it, but on road is easier to find
your cycling legs (In Centennial Park or similar, not on Parramatta Rd!).

--
Dave Hughes |
"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,