Old May 27th 04, 03:05 AM
Bernie

Default Why they hate us, was ( funny things to do on a bike)

David Kerber wrote:

In article , bmcilvan@mouse-
potato.com says...

David Kerber wrote:

David are you saying that an earlier eruption of Krakatoa caused the
"Little Ice Age"? Can you post a reference? I thought it was just a
ripple in a larger wave - the slow ending of the last real ice age.

It wasn't me who said that; look at the indenting level, it was two
levels of posts before mine.

Right you are. Sorry bout that. I see Frank wasn't quite saying that
either. Volcanoes have caused dark years at times.

That is certainly true, but I don't know if the "mini ice age" was
connected to one or not. There was a time in the early 1800's which was
called "the year without a summer" in New England, which IIRC was caused
by the eruption of Tambora.

Ya, those "black summers" were caused by big volcanic events, the Little
Ice Age otoh was a 400+ year event starting in the 14th century. It
drove the Norsemen out of Greenland. They had "modern" cities there at
the time, grew grain, erected cathedrals, etc. It appears to be a
ripple in a much bigger wave: near the end of a great ice age, then the
Little Ice Age cooled the northern climate for a few centuries.
Global warming? Maybe, maybe we are just getting back in sync with that
very long warming trend that began with the end of the last great ice age.
Bernie