Old October 20th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Carrying tools

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 9:20:10 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 20/10/17 10:21, Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

That's a fair distance to lug a hammer. Would you notice the extra
weight given the weight of your bike, luggage and yourself?

Is it in good condition?

I'd be considering it.

I don't need two. I'd leave it on the curb for someone else to find. My 8" adjustable wrench was a road find. I found $2 last week -- bills floating around on the road. I spent the next mile scanning the shoulder looking for a bag of dollars.

The most amazing road find was while driving in a car. I was driving on a rural highway through thick forest in the coast range. I hit a pot hole and launched a hub cap across the road and into the woods. The other side of the road dropped off into a steep bowl. I found my hub cap in this wooded bowl -- along with about a million other hub caps, strewn around in the ferns and trees. It was like the enchanted forest of hubcaps. I bet there were hubcaps going back to the beginning of hubcap time. The pothole must have existed since the pleistocene.

-- Jay Beattie.