Old November 1st 17, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default To cycle is to live dangerously...[

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:13:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/31/2017 6:11 PM, wrote:

When I was a section manager I had six EE's working under me. None of them could handle the jobs and I was doing about half of the design and all of the programming.

I was really dying to get qualified personnel. The company kicked the bucket and I went into the Human Resources office and looked to see who had actually applied - there were a dozen people perfectly qualified but whom the college degree holding human resources people did not present to me because THEY didn't feel they were qualified for my necessities.

Yeah, some of these other engineers also didn't have degrees. So what? It was MY judgement and not that of a headhunter or a HR person to make that decision.

I'm surprised that a section manager would have no input as to
qualifications of people applying for jobs he would supervise.

So am I. It was pretty much a standing policy that project managers,
in the company I worked for, had the last word in who they hired. The
theory was that in the event of a project failure that the manager
went down with the ship so he ought to pick his own crew.

We had a company in the U.S. that did solicit applications - "wanted
50 ton crane operator for work in S.E.A." They simply forwarded the
resumes to us, I reviewed them and sent the applicable ones to the
projects that required people. The idea was to make less work for the
project managers. If he was looking for crane operators I didn't
bother to send resumes for welders, for example.

Some of our clients demanded certain qualifications - Degree in Civil
Engineering with experience in constructing highways in primitive
areas - while in other cases they relied on us to supply qualified
people.

I might add that the absolutely best qualified civil construction guy
I ever knew was a hillbilly from Tennessee who's family moved to
California in a 1930's. His formal education was extremely limited but
he had gone to work as a bulldozer operator when he was 14 years old
and had nearly 50 years experience moving dirt when I knew him.
--
Cheers,

John B.