Old January 6th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default bar-end shifters

Benjamin Lewis wrote in
:

Johnny Sunset wrote:
Ted Bennett wrote:

I, for one, would hate to see bar-end shifters to go the way of the
dodo. While not quite as slick as brifters (you do have to move your
hand to shift)....

I use my thumbs to move the bar-end levers without moving my hands.

I've used my water bottle to move the bar-end levers on occasion.

I've used my knee to shift my bar-ends a few times. Only once or twice was
it on purpose. That said, it was not while actually riding, it was walking
it over a curb.

I have friction bar-ends (Rivendell's excellent ones based on Superbe Pro
DTs) on one bike and Ergos on another, and I like both just fine. I say
that as someone who hates DT shifters. I'm surprised how much I still like
the friction ones after getting indexing on all my other bikes.