Old April 6th 04, 04:21 PM
Werehatrack

Default Anti theft measures for cycles stored in garages, sheds etc?

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:03:04 +0100, DC may have said:

Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of
their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? Would an alarm
be the best or some arrangement to anchor cycles to concrete walls or
floors etc via locks.

Not the most the pleasant of subjects but it better than your pride
and joy going missing to be never seen again

If the thief can get entrance to the garage or shed without being
impeded or discovered, the battle's lost. The first line of defense
*is* the outer door. Once they get into the garage or shed, they're
going to have adequate time and privacy to defeat any lock you're
probably going to be able to employ.

In the USA, this may be less of a problem than where you are in the
UK. This is largely because if a US thief is going to bother with
burglary, a bicycle (even an expensive one) is not likely to be what
the thief is there to steal.