Old September 12th 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Well lubed jockey wheels

On 9/11/2018 6:54 PM, James wrote:
I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to run out
of lube.Â* The trouble I suspect is that it is difficult to adequately
lubricate them during assembly, so I made it possible to lubricate them
after they are assembled.

I bought a grease syringe that fits my grease gun, and I drilled a hole
into the jockey wheel such that I can pump grease directly into the
middle of the plain bearings.

Campagnolo jockey wheels use a soft metal outer bearing material, so it
was easy to drill through the plastic wheel and the bearing material.

After riding from Delaware to Ohio, most of it in rain, my SunTour
jockey pulleys were squeaking badly. I replaced them with ball bearing
units from an ancient derailleur in my junk box. It may have been a
Huret Svelto. I don't think I've had any trouble since.

Since then, at a sort of estate sale, I acquired a set of (IIRC)
Bullseye aluminum jockey wheels with sealed bearings. I suppose I should
install them.

--
- Frank Krygowski