Old April 9th 19, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Hydraulic disc brake experience

On 9/4/19 3:57 pm, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 14:19:51 +1000, James
wrote:

On 9/4/19 1:11 pm, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 10:33:21 +1000, James
wrote:

The GLW has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes on her urban commuter/touring
bike.

Recently the front brake system degraded to the point that the lever
could easily be pulled all the way to the bars. Not good. I bought a
bleed kit and Shimano brake oil for $50. I bled both front and back
brakes as instructed by Shimano. The front brakes worked again as new.

Just as a comment, you can buy mineral brake oil equal in viscosity to
Shimano's for considerable less money :-)

Thanks. I assumed so, but wanted the funnel, syringe and hose as well,
that all came as part of a bleed kit.

Amazon sells a complete kit, funnel, hose, oil etc. for about A$ 22.40
(I'm assuming that the Ausi dollar is about par with the Singapore
dollar )

I looked at a number of sources. Many appear cheaper until you include
shipping. I bought one from an Australian supplier that guaranteed
delivery before the next weekend and was only a couple of $ more than
the cheapest equivalent I could find elsewhere.

--
JS