Old August 23rd 19, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Chinese Carbon Wheelset

On 23/8/19 8:13 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday I was trying out my LeMond on a 40 mile 3500 feet of
climbing ride. On the return trip I hit a bump and it made a horrible
sound. It sounded like the rear carbon rim had broken. But the when
seemed to roll fine. When I got home I knocked on the rim and it
rattled in a couple of spots so I assumed it was delaminating.

I finally figured out that it wasn't the wheels. When I hit a hard
bump the sear post would move and this made that noise. Perhaps also
because the headset is new it has a little slack that needs to be
taken up now that it has been ridden. This isn't unusual for aluminum
headsets where all of the components have to seat together.

Anyway, I rode it again today but with a set of Campy aluminum
wheels. In one point it again made that noise and it appears that it
was the seat post moving. Think that I'll throw away that Campy
Carbon seatpost and install an aluminum one.

Not that I have used a carbon post, stem, bars or steerer, but I hear
that it is usual to apply some friction goo to clamps so that the clamp
grips without squashing the carbon tube or stripping a thread.

At a pinch I hear tooth paste can be useful.

--
JS