Old September 14th 18, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Adjustable rubber rack straps, where to buy?

On 9/14/2018 2:15 AM, news18 wrote:
On 14/09/18 14:27, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/13/2018 9:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 4:21:10 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

I am not using it for heavy loads, just for sensitive ones. For heavy
loads I have cinch straps and heavy duty bungees.

You should put your delicate cargo in a pannier.

Grant Peterson recently publicized an interesting trick. In his
example, the delicate cargo was an expensive camera of some kind.

He was using a bike with a metal front basket. He used two cargo nets.
One he stretched across the top of the basket to form a sort of
trampoline. The camera sat on top of that net, suspended above the
baset floor. The other net went above the camera to hold it down and
keep it from bouncing out.

Sounds good for shaking something up by amplfying every bump.

You're trying to minimize acceleration, not amplitude. With Grant's
scheme, the camera will move more (greater amplitude) but will endure
far less acceleration.

I always preferred to carry my camera in a snout bag mounted on my chest
supported by a pair of straps going over shoulders and crossing on the
back. My legs tend to be very good at smoothing out bumps.

In the days of mechanical cameras, I did something similar. I had the
straps worked out to where I could easily unclip one and shoot as I rode.

Now that my camera's tiny and digital, it's usually in the mesh side
pocket of my handlebar bag. I think it's much more rugged than my old
film camera. This one has almost no mechanical moving parts.

--
- Frank Krygowski