Old September 14th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Adjustable rubber rack straps, where to buy?

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 10:30:13 AM UTC-4, Joerg
On 2018-09-12 17:21, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:19:00 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy ESGE bicycle rack straps
like this in the US without costing more than the whole
rack?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uIcAA...Bv/s-l1600.jpg

They are rubber which the blistering sun has now shot. In
Europe these used to cost $4-5. Adjustment is without any
excess rubber dangling into spokes and stuff.

Or maybe something similar that has such seamlessly
adjustable rubber straps. Bungees or Arno straps are not so
cool for sensitive loads.

Adjustable Flat Bungee Cord? See Amazon, about $3.50 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Keeper-06119-.../dp/B0044FPNIG

Bingo! I didn't know they made adjustable bungees which is exactly the
function I was looking for. It's on our Amazon shopping list
now. Thanks, John.

Frank and Sir: This does work for me. Reason why Arno strap
won't work well for this particular job is that I often carry
softer materials and sometimes even a large fruit or vegetable.
A bursting plastic malt syrup jug would be real fun on a bike.
Arno straps or cinch-down straps can be adjusted but their
pressure comes on hard so I'd have to carry buffer material.
For the rack I need something with flex that can be adjusted in
tension, no extra buffer material needed.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Meantime your rubber bungee cord expands on bumps and thus you
risk it coming off if the hook lets go. Then you might lose your
load.

I am not using it for heavy loads, just for sensitive ones. For
heavy loads I have cinch straps and heavy duty bungees.

You should put your delicate cargo in a pannier.

Those are nearly always full. The right one with tools, lock, phone,
spare tube, battery and stuff. The left one with water, electrolyte mix,
food.

... If you need more
capacity, buy a trailer. I'm sure your wife would allow you to buy a
bicycle trailer, maybe.

The only trailer that would work for me is the Bob trailer with
suspension. Yeah, I could buy one. However, flexible straps cost a lot less.