Old August 14th 18, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Flat repair

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 8:35:56 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 15:48:59 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Obviously you like carrying around two tubes, a patch kit, two CO2
cartridges and a filler and a mini-pump because it seems romantic to
you.

Good grief, who carries all that crap? I carry one spare tube, a patch
kit, tire lever and my trusty Silca Impero with Campy head.

With tubeless you need to carry a spare tube, inflation device of some
sort... or a cell phone and have a sympathetic spouse for when the tire
can't be simply remounted, the seal fails and can't be resealed, etc.

You are perfectly free to feel that the same technology used on every
other rubber tired vehicle in the world is not suited to bicycles...

Might not be.

Car and truck tires, for example, are much larger, much stiffer, have a
much heavier bead, much thicker construction and operate at much lower
air pressures than road bike tires do. Modern motorcycles have
converted to tubeless but again the tires are larger, thicker, more
heavily built, larger deeper bead, etc∆. None of the foregoing are
designed to be taken off the rim on the road, unlike all bike tires.

MTB tires at say 30-40 PSI seem to be better candidates than 700 x 25
tires at 115 psi for the tubeless approach *as it currently stands.* I
also think the product design will improve and that the weaknesses of
tubeless bicycle tires (requiring a sealant to overcome the inherent
inadequacy of the tire bead-rim interface) will be obviated. But it
will take stepping away from the legacy dimensions of the tire-rim
interface to one that may not be removable with home equipment.

So did we in the SF bay area until California stopped maintaining the roads.. I'm about to ride up to a group ride and I will find broken glass on the way that has been there for months.