Old October 11th 17, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_21_]

Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

For your reference, records indicate that
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I predict that
there will be a sufficiently large number of undesirable incidents,
which will inspire an ad-hoc wireless network scheme to enhance the
system and take the load off the autonomous computer trying to
identify various objects.

The problem with “offloading” the identification is that you’re
opening up the vehicles to even worse incidents. What if I just hack
my bike transponder to report itself as a semi?

You're getting ahead of me a little, but yes, it will shove it down
our safety conscious throats, exactly like seat belts, crash resistant
bumpers, dashboard padding, air bags, autie-lock brakes, extra tail
lights, and other expensive safety features.

The key difference is that all those features where part of the cost
of the car itself. The idea of sticking transmitters on everything
just to accommodate unsafe autonomous vehicles is a technical and
economic non-starter.

Do you really think that hot-rodders are about to accept that?

Of course not. But I'm not talking about hot rod motorists. I'm
talking about bicyclists, although I could lump the e-bike hot rodders
into a similar class. Will cyclists accept computer control over
their speed and direction in order to check into the roadway of the
future?

Your argument makes no sense. What is the reason classic cars would
get a pass but bicycles would not?

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly