Old May 9th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
SMS

Default Should you wear a helmet while riding a recumbent?

On 5/9/2011 2:26 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On May 9, 8:49 am, Frank wrote:
On May 8, 1:29 pm, Jay wrote:

I rode and raced without a helmet at various times .. and yes, I did not die of a head injury.

Not surprising. We had over 100 years of bike racing without helmets,
with fatal head injuries always being extremely rare. Think of the
tens of millions of miles ridden in the Tour de France since its
inception. IIRC, there were a total of three deaths. One was drug-
induced heart failure. One was due to head injury (sliding into a
concrete post at a speed far beyond helmet certification standards),
one possibly due to head injury (falling into a ravine, ditto). There
would probably be more head injury fatalities if all those racers had
walked the course!

Why only death statistics.

I'm pretty sure that you know why.