Old September 11th 03, 09:10 AM
Torsten Lif

Default Tandem Brakes

I have a rear wheel for my Linear LWB with one of them "roller brakes"
from Shimano (don't exactly remember the model name but I built it a
couple of years ago).

I'm not impressed with the stopping power. The Magura hydraulic rim
brakes are a lot more efficient. Not that I have any problem with
overheating, of course, the Linear being a single.

The roller brake has a kind of cooling disc which may compensate for its
poor power if it works to prevent fading but I haven't had occasion to
test this. For regular riding, I find it lame. I wanted to move away
from the Maguras because I'd had one too many brake line ruptures when I
folded the bike, but this wheel has proven a disappointment. I'm still
looking for the "perfect" brake. Maybe I'll look into a disc one day.

/Torsten

Alan wrote:

I'm going to be getting some wheels for a tandem soon. Someone mentioned
those shimano nexave roller brakes in some context earlier. They look so
easy and are cheap. Do these things have stopping power, will they
overheat?

I really wanted to go with disk brakes on this project, but they're a
bit more than I want to spend.

Alan

--
Torsten Lif, Cyberspace Cyclist