Old September 11th 03, 04:55 PM
Chris French

Default Tandem Brakes

In message , Alan
writes

I'm going to be getting some wheels for a tandem soon. Someone
mentioned those shimano nexave roller brakes in some context earlier.
They look so easy and are cheap. Do these things have stopping power,
will they overheat?

I've got a Shimano Nexus roller brake on the rear of my upright
'utility' bike (paired with a Sachs drum brake on the front). The
stopping power is fine, but nothing to write home about, but I don't
really like the feel of it at all. I much prefer the drum brake on the
front. As for overheating, I suspect that might be a problem, though
I've no evidence for this.

I use it because I like the very low maintenance and the reliable
stopping in the wet enclosed hub brakes. I used to run a coaster brake
rear on Sachs hub gear, but for various reasons changed that for a
Shimano hub gear, so tried out a roller brake.
--
Chris French, Leeds