Old July 19th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 9:56:58 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering what others feel is worse. What do you think is worse, riding in a dry environment (desert) with 110F temperatures or riding in an area where the heat and humidity combine to give a temperature of 110F?

IO figure that at lest in t he desert sweat can evaporate and thus cool you but when there's really high humidity the sweat does NOT evaporate and thus you lose most of the cooling effect of sweating.

Opinions?

I've ridden both. I can put up with the desert heat much more easily.

And while it's just a theory, I think I'm more likely to get dehydrated in the
hot, humid conditions. Cramps, too. I think I actually pump out more sweat, but
it still doesn't cool me.

Related:
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/psr/general.../heatindex.png

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml