Old November 11th 04, 12:43 AM
Dane Jackson

Bruce Frech wrote:
"Dane Jackson" wrote in message

Of course, I figured out a while
ago that I definitely have a bad case of reverse snobbery. I'm much
more interested in talking to the guy riding an older bike with DT
shifters or bar-cons than the guy riding the Dura-Ace equipped
wonder-bike.

I ride a custom Litespeed. It's custom because I wanted a slight variation
on the standard geometry - lower BB, longer chainstays and toptube, plus I
wanted rack eyelets. Sure I could have gotten a Habanero for less but I
wanted the butted tubing. I plan to ride that bike more then 50,000 miles,
which is what I've done with the last four bikes I've owned before that one.
Note that they all still work fine and they all have DuraAce. I tour, race,
commute, club-ride and just plain ride my bikes about 10,000 miles a year
and have been doing that for 30 years.

My custom bike isn't any faster then the previous litespeed or the Kestrel
before that or the Miyata Pro (steel). It handles slightly differently and
it's easier to attach a rack or fenders.

Would you talk with me on a ride?

Maybe if you stop top posting.

Don't get me wrong, one of the guys at work rides a Dura-Ace Litespeed.
He not only has Dura-Ace and team kit, he rides in a team. I get along
fine with him, and we BS about bikes all the time. What I object to is
all the ******s I run into on the trails here (never roads for some odd
reason). It really irritates me to pass some fellow and look behind me
later to find him 12 inches behind my wheel. And every time it is some
guy on a tri-bike or a really nice new bike. I think that's where some
of my snobbery is coming from.

I'm thinking about making a sign to attach to my carradice bag.

"Not a Tow Truck"

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even