Old May 27th 05, 09:41 PM
Wiggums

I really don't think the UK has good compliance. The posted limit is
70 mph on motorways, but it's common to see drivers hitting 90 to 95 on
the M4 towards London.

Also, Germany's fatality rate is now lower than that of the United
States. I got it straight from FHWA... scroll down to the second
chart.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohim/hs02/in6.htm

It shows Germany at 1.3 deaths per 100 million freeway kilometres. The
United States is showing 1.6. Even France with its blatant disregard
for the 130 km/h limits has lower fatalities than the United States.
Having been all over Europe, I can say that the motorways in the UK are
more comfortable and safer than that of Europe (i.e., shoulders,
signage clarity, etc.).

Furthermore, in 1995, the top 1 percentile would be about 200 km/h (125
mph). I recently went to Germany a few months ago and had an Audi A8
TDI V-8. I think the regular petrol models have a speed governor at
250 or 255, but the TDI apparently did not have any because the
governor stopped the car at 280 km/h. That's 175 mph. There were just
four cars going from Berlin to Madgeburg on a very smooth
nearly-straight three-lane autobahn A2 that was almost new. Seeing
that the S600 topped at 255 km/h, it could not catch up with us
travelling over 275 km/h, so there were just the three of us at 6 in
the morning on a Sunday when there's nobody out there. Bliss!

Lorries are still limited at 90 km/h or 100 km/h, and that's with cars
screaming nearby in excess of 260 km/h. Far safer than lorries doing
90 km/h and cars going 200 km/h? Well, the numbers show a substantial
decrease in fatalities. Look at this one:

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/inf..._1988-2001.htm

This one is not per kilometre mile driven, but I can assure you more
people are driving cars in Germany compared to 1988 (especially with
the fall of the Berlin wall). Still, from 1988 to 2001, there was a
huge decrease of 36% in overall deaths. During the same timeframe, the
U.S. only dropped 4 percent - the worst of all the 30 countries on the
list.