Old December 13th 12, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default Bicycling and Divorce

"John B." wrote in message

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:29:08 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:
[...]

Experience is vastly overrated.

Thus speaks the inexperienced.

It is best to contemplate the eternal verities from a theoretical aspect
only. All experience is a form of pollution.

Thus spake Zarathustra!

Marriage is a balancing act. Too much togetherness is not good nor is too
much separation. Husbands and wives can do things separately (such as
cycling) as long as you meet up at the end of the day or the week. But I
still think separate vacations of more than a week are somewhat risky.

This seems to be some sort of modern idea. At least my parent's

generation viewed divorce as a rather despicable act. As for separate
vacations, I doubt that they would have contemplated such an exercise
- they liked each other.

A marriage only needs to last about 15 years, just long enough to get your
children launched ... although today it might take more like 30 years.
Husbands and wives can still like one another and prefer to be apart for
varying periods of time for one reason or another.

But you are correct, Modern America appears to contemplate marriage as

a temporary arrangement at best. I keep reading about people with
"partners" although that may be a politically correct expression to
avoid upsetting the "X" sex.
(Australian passports are now issued showing M (male), F (female) or X
(indeterminate/unspecified/intersex))

I will admit that nature does create some freaks of indeterminate sex but
such mistakes are few and far between. After all, nature is only intent on
perpetuating the species and this is only acomplished via males impregnating
females. The “X” sex always only constitutes about .00000000001% of a
population and is best ignored for the nonentity that it is.

Ed Dolan the Great