Old May 24th 04, 08:46 PM
Clive George

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

"Simon Proven" wrote in message

Yeah. We just got our £2 million bridge over the A14 installed
just outside Cambridge - but if you want to get to the local
household waste recycling centre/tip with a trailer you need to
either go around the roundabout the bridge is supposed to help
you avoid, or cycle all the way through Milton and back down the
A10 to the junction. There's a perfectly good bridge over the
A10 but it's got barriers that prevent a trailer. *fume*

When I lived in Milton and worked in cambridge, I wanted to get out of the
village as fast as possible. The old road to Histon would have been perfect
for getting onto the A10, but somebody put that fence in the way and built
that bridge.
One day I did a little gardening, and as if by magic a little cycle route
appeared on on the south side of the bridge. (chopped some vegetation,
converted a ditch/lump into something approximately flat). And all was
marvellous. It became quite a popular little cut. But the day I saw a
scooter using it I knew it wouldn't last.
I left for pleasanter places, so wasn't around for a while - but I noticed
on one of my visits back to the place that somebody official had noticed
people using the cut, and declared 'This shall not be used', enforcing it
with a big sheffield stand like object. Grr.
If I still lived there that object would not be there...
(Apparently at the same time as we were there somebody made a couple of the
paths in the estate more cycle friendly by removing a couple of the
irritating barriers. Made getting to tescos much easier).

(dunno how trailer friendly my little cut was - it was designed for me, and
I didn't have a trailer then :-) )

cheers,
clive