Old May 24th 04, 10:53 PM
Mike Gayler

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

David Arditti writed in
:

snip snip

Effective networks of cycle tracks encourage a much larger section of
the population to cycle than we generally see on two wheels in the UK.
They then inevitably spill over onto all the other roads, creating the
critical mass on those roads which makes cycling there safer and
changes the perception and behaviour of drivers. The road conditions
in Holland that Peter has experienced and commented upon are a
consequence of this mechanism.

lots of snipping
David Arditti

I wonder if we are comparing chalk and cheese. Cycle paths as constructed
as part of the Stevenage scheme in the ?1930s are a long, long way from
those constructed in Milton Keynes, or anywhere else in recent times.
Properly thought out routes like Stevenage, I am sure *will* encourage
cycling, even Milton Keynes type routes had the potential to do so, but
are let down by poor maintenance and some very bad design flaws, in the
newer sections.
Typical 'facility' construction by local authorities in the last 10 years
comes not within a thousand light years of even the poorest of these
(maybe slight exageration).
The problem is that construction of good quality (Stevenage style) cycle
facilities is very expensive and land-hungry as it involves wide lanes,
underpasses and good quality bridges, not to mention lighting,
signposting and maintenance.
I seriously beleive that good quality, voluntary, segregated facilities
have the potential to increase cycling significantly. But, we will never
see them in the UK. We will continue to see the half baked, cheap (and
dangerous) schemes that seek to marginalise the cyclist.
The big difference on the roads (as opposed to facilities) in places like
France, Denmark and The NEtherlands, is that the typical middle aged car
driver, had, in his younger days been a typical cyclist!

Mike - Leicester